THE  WHITE  CROSS  INN
Traditional family pub, open fire, great British food, 300 years of history!

 

HOME NEARBY HISTORY CONTACT

The White Cross Inn began life as "Ye Brandy House and Ale House" in 1729. The timeline below gives names of licensees and other details we know. If you have any additional information, we would love to hear from you.

Photo Gallery

 
1729

William Jones

The name was then "Ye Brandy House and Ale House", William Jones was the keeper  until 1743

 

 

1730

William Jones

The name changed to the "Red Cross Inn" after the flag of St George. The Red Cross was a posting-house, an inn which provided a change of horses for coaches passing through.

 

 

1751

Thomas Hawes

 

 

1789

Robert Eves

On the death of Thomas Hawes, the Red Cross Inn passed to his son-in-law, Robert Eves, a farmer

 

 

1802

Ann Eves nee Hawes

On the death of Robert Eves, the inn passed to his widow. Ann provided beer to the men of North Cray, compulsorily labouring on its roads under the supervision of North Cray's Surveyor of Highways.

In 1808 Mrs Eves was paid 15s 6d for 31 pots of beer; and more payments were made to her in 1809 and 1810 for supplying beer to the men labouring in Parsonage Lane. She also provided beer for the bell ringers at St James' church. Mrs Eves died in1817 aged 67.

Ann Eves, her late husband and many of the Eves family are buried in St James' churchyard.

 

 

1818

No licence is recorded

This may have been when the inn was rebuilt

 

 

1819

William Farmer

William Farmer from Staplehurst was the publican and an auctioneer. He also farmed some nearby land.

In 1837, although William Farmer still occupied the Red Cross the public house, stable yard and premises were owned by William and Charles Fleet, brewers in Dartford.

 

 

1846

Lewis Latter

Lewis died in 1851

 

 

1851

Matilda Latter

Matilda succeeded her late husband. Then aged 38, she had four children and a lodger living at home in the Red Cross. Her 18 year old daughter Ann was the barmaid. Since c1833 the family had lived in Plumstead, Northfleet and Bermondsey - arriving in North Cray around 1846, where Lewis and Matilda's daughter Lavina, was born.

 

 

1851

Timothy Sales

Timothy Sales had become publican by June 1851. 

 

 

1855

Frederick Goodyer

Although the licence had been made out to Timothy Sales, it was altered to John Mathew Munyard, who then assigned it to his brother-in-law Frederick Goodyer of Eltham.

As well as managing the Red Cross and dealing in tobacco and provisions there, Goodyer was also an omnibus driver. Both the Munyard and Goodyer families were involved in the transport business, as fly and omnibus proprietors, or in the letting of post horses. In 1857, Thomas Goodyer became a debtor.
 

1857

John Graves

 

 

1859

Edmund Richard May

As well as being licensee, May was also a carman and a dealer in coals and wood. By 1862 he had moved to the Six Bells, Bexley and that year became a bankrupt.

 

 

1861

Joseph Thomas Moors

Aged 36, Moors was also a cordwainer  (shoemaker / cobbler). He lived at Red Cross with his wife Esther (nee Whittington) from Thakenham Sussex. They had married in 1846 in the district of Bromley and had two sons. Also staying with Joseph at the time was John Phillips aged 15, a relative born in St Marys Cray; Edward Bristol a sheep shearer, and John Prosser an Agricultural Labourer aged 27.

In 1848 the family was living in St Mary's Cray, moving to Shorne c1851. From 1871 to 1881 Joseph was again a shoemaker and died in the fourth quarter of 1884. Esther is recorded on the 1901 census as living on her own means she died on the 5th of April 1912 in Godstone, Surrey.

 

 

186?

James Staples

 

 

1867

William Staples

 

 

1869

George Bateman

Aged 36, Bateman was both publican and gardener.

His wife Alicia, was then aged 38 (born 1831).

By 1871 the couple were living at Fleur-de-Lis public house in Trafalgar Rd, Gillingham with their daughters Mary (born 1866) and Jane (born 1870).

 

 

1874

George Manser

 

 

1876

James William Manser

Aged 54. The 1881 census has James living at Red Cross with wife Louisa (nee Smith). They married in 1848 and lived with their 26 year old niece Elizabeth, a servant and Julia Smith aged 59, a servant / nurse.

 

 

1886

John McPherson?

 

 

1887

George Townsend

George and his wife Sarah were both born in Liscard, Merseyside c1848 and 1842 respectively. By 1901 George was beer keeper at the Founders Arms in Crooked Lane, Gravesend.

 

 

1891

John McPherson

McPherson (age 27) was born in Scotland. John's wife Maud Mary B (nee Brown) was born in Orpington in 1868 and they married in 1888. Also living at Red Cross with them was their son who was born 1878 in New Cross and their 15 year old servant Fanny Poole.

 

 

1901

William Jackson

Jackson, aged 53, was born in Eastling Kent. His wife Sophia, aged 47 was born in Limpsfied, Surrey. They lived at Red Cross with their 16 year old domestic servant Frances J Dungate, born in Orpington.

 

 

1903

Daniel John Laslett

 

 

1904

Charles Henry Sparks

Born in Q1 1859 in Faversham Kent, Charles was the son of Thomas (bn 1837 in Faversham) and Sarah Ann (nee Fright).

 

In Q3 1879 Charles married Adelaide Emily Maxted (bn 1859 in Challock, Kent) at St Saviours, Southwark.

 

At the 1901 census Adelaide and Charles (then an Assistant in a Tobacco Factory) were living in Hazeldene Rowden Road Beckenham Kent (St George's parish), with their children:

Daughters; Winifred (age 4, born in Walworth, London), Elsie Mary (11, born Walworth), Kate Adelaide (14), Lillian Maude (15, bn Kennington, a Dressmaker) Florence Emily (17, born Kennington, a Dressmaker)

Sons: George (6, born Walworth), William Henry (9, born Walworth)

 

They moved to North Cray in Nov 1904. At the 1911 census Adelaide and Charles (a Licensed Victualler), lived at the Red Cross Inn, with:

Daughters: Lilian Maude (26) and Elsie Mary (22), both assisting at the  Red Cross. Sons: George (17, Student), Albert Maxted (10, schoolboy)

 

Charles died in Q4 1915 and is buried in St James' churchyard. His grave is on the right as you go through the gate.

 

 

1915

Adelaide Emily Sparks (nee Maxted)

Adelaide took over Red Cross Inn 1915 after her husband died

Adelaide was the daughter of William Maxted, an agricultural labourer (born 1808) and Catherine (born 1818)

 

On the evening of Saturday May 2nd 1925, Adelaide suffered a stroke and never regained consciousness; she died on Thursday May 7th.

Her funeral was held at St James' North Cray on Wednesday afternoon of the following week, the service was conducted by Rev. T Milner.

Her grave is on the right as you go through the gate

 

 

1930

John Reginald Hopkins Pepper (born 23 Jan 1898)

 

 

1935

In 1935 the Red Cross Inn became the White Cross Inn, as the war office ruled the name "Red Cross" contravened the Geneva Convention. The sign now depicts the White Maltese Cross and the sign of the Knights Hospitallers.

 

 

1938

Ada Florence Acton
Married to Edward Royal Acton ("Nobby"), Ada was at the White Cross through the war years 

 

 

?

Frank Kimber

Frank was born in Lewisham in 1894 and died in the first quarter of 1956, aged 62.

He married Annie L Farmer in the third quarter of 1927.

 

 

1956

Annie L Kimber (nee Farmer)

Annie (born 1898) succeeded her husband and died in the second quarter of 1965.

 

 

1956

Trevor and Gina Kimber

 

 

1994

Roy and Pauline Kennedy (nee Bowler)

   
   
 

 

 

 

The Red Cross 1921.

The boy in the bottom left of the picture is
Albert Sparks, son of Adelaide and Charles

 

Adelaide Emily Sparks

Landlady 1913-1925

 

 Name Change from Red Cross to White Cross

Name Change to White Cross 1935

 

White Cross between 1935 and the 1939 War

 

November 1952

 

Around 1957

 

Barmaids Alice & Loveday in the mid 60s,

sitting in the area now covered

by the 1980's extension to the pub. 

 

1974

 

Boxing Day 1989. All these children worked for

us after 1994. Claire Key (right) left in 2010

 

Sept 20th 2010 - Mrs Bowler's 87th Birthday

L-R Pauline Kennedy (nee Bowler) Brenda, Muriel, Mrs Bowler,

Julie (Staff), Raquel (Asst Mgr), Louise (ex Staff)

 

November 2010

 


Tel: 020 8300 2590                        

Designed and Hosted by DMS        

The White Cross Inn 2012